After roleplaying for a while I have encountered several tendencies that prevent players from fully enjoying this experience. Here I list a few tips that will surely ease the new player’s impression of RPG gaming:
- No one can say anything wrong in a role-playing game. There is no wrong or right answer or decision – unlike in life. That’s why we call this a game.
- Forget feeling fear. You are going to appear foolish at some point in the game. Just accept that this is part of being entertaining and being entertained from play. Relax.
- Give yourself permission to laugh and enjoy yourself in the company of the other players.
- The game is not a competition. It is a social, shared and collaborative experience.
- Ask the DM.
- Tell the DM.
- Fruit and snacks that can be served in a big communal bowl is the best at table snack.
- Be descriptive. Do not rely on jargon. Applying a “Bull Rush Feat” is not the same as running full-tilt at an opponent, hitting him at the hip and taking him 10 feet backward to the floor or off the cliff….